VPS hosting essentially entails what is popularly known as Virtual Private Servers. Even though the different computers are basically connected to one physical system, each and every one of them gets an individual domain which creates the individual and distinct space for each computer.
Image sent by author
How VPS Works:
- The simplest way of understanding or visualizing the methodology behind the workings of VPS is to draw the patent apartment analogy with it.
- You might want to change or alter each unit within the physical system and it will not affect the other machines; just like you would renovate you own personal suite without affecting others in any manner.
- You may install new software into the machine and it would not affect the other machines at all.
- On a shared hosting server the basic problem would be that each machine would be interconnected to the other and hence any damage to one would ultimately result in harming the other machines as well.
- For example, if one ‘container’ broke down, then the others would too. This is highly disadvantageous and obviously creates a huge problem. This is what a VPS system completely does away with.
- The other major problem is with that some high traffic websites in a shared environment often hoard all the resources of the user and may also lead to the inaccessibility of the other websites by the other machines.
- This never happens in the case of VPS, since each machine as already mentioned above has an independent domain altogether in order for them to function.
Why use VPS Hosting?
1. The major accomplished of such a technology is the fact that it has been able to bridge the gaps between dedicated hosting services and shared hosting.
2. A virtual server hosting situation and independent server system has a basic fundamental difference. To put it to the flat analogy again, it is almost like you are leasing or renting the room.
3. Once when you rent or lease a house or an apartment and obviously use each and every gadget and material of the place without any idea regarding its source.
4. Whether it be the services of a kitchen, washroom, swimming pool etc. you remain blissfully oblivious while availing of these facilities. The workings of a virtual private service are exactly that. You may use any of their programs and applications for which generally they pay a nominal amount to avail of the services.
5. In case of any malfunctioning you may want to visit the service provider.
6. Graphic and gaming domains mainly require these services. They need the speed factor and need it seamlessly. This requires a larger memory domain due to the factor of the speed. It becomes even dicier when the game is played by multiple users or participants.
Though the process is highly advantageous, it has its demerits. The process has a virtual hosting server as well. If by any chance, you are dealing with something extremely private or less than legal, the hosting server will automatically capture it and it may be viewed by everyone. It is thus important for you to select the appropriate service provider and check their authentication before clicking on the “agree” button. It is also important for you to know how often they hold reviews of the host server and whether or not they hold the reviews in a random fashion. Going online and comparing the services which are provided by the various host servers is always a good option. It is mandatory that you check it properly.
By Daniel Clark