Intranet is commonly defined as relative of internet. As the internet is closing in the people around the world in a single network through the World Wide Web, the intranet connects a group of people that is enclosed within an organization or a company.
Thus intranet functions as the internet yet at a private sense of word.
What is the Use of Intranet?
Intranet serves as a functional bridge among businesses and organizations’ employees. It is where functions and workflows can be discussed. It serves as a manager and a social avenue of employees as well as a daily news crier for memorandums and important notices.
Intranet can be employed by businesses, small to big companies, government organization and other corporate entities.
A good intranet will yield the following benefits:
- Information dissemination such as memorandums and notices will be easy.
- Sharing of ideas and knowledge is just a click away.
- Document publication is secured and is limited only to the intranet system.
- It can be customized according to hubs or department needs.
- It is molded according to your needs or your organizations’ goals.
Facts and Figures that Hinders Intranet Success
A study shows that the biggest reasons why intranet isn’t as effective as it had promised is because firs, it lacks the support of people in the executive part of the organization, that would be 18% followed by bigger priorities of the company still getting the 18%, 12% for the lack of IT support, 10% on policy concerns followed by apathy and business case for 9%. The remaining 10% constitute other things in the line.
Mainly, the intranet is being used to find staff, research on regulations and rules, din forms, documents and things and read on organizational news. In additional studies there are 43% of employees that uses the intranet daily and 65% who uses it monthly.
Best Practice for the Intranet Development and Implementation
- A survey first should be done as to know the review of your employees’ priorities at work.
- A plan should be developed as mirrored by the survey results. The objective shouldn’t be forgotten and its goals again redefined.
- Know and research on different software developers or vendors.
- Know the basic and intricate features of a good intranet. Do some detective work across all other intranet platforms and software.
- Plan it together with your IT department.
- Redefine and define intranet users as well as their functions for the incoming intranet.
- Design the visual of your intranet. Know its architecture and provide a clear intranet hierarchy.
- Test it and have feedback to make everything better later.
As the final steps in your intranet implementation is done, make sure that it will be sued and utilized wisely by everybody concerned. It should sit still and idle, you should be vigilant in promoting it. A great deal of making it a success lies in the hands of the users as well as the hands of the executive department to inspire its use.
Joseph Macintyre is an avid blogger. Joseph holds a degree in Computer Engineering and shares his expertise by writing articles to various topics such as the importance of social intranets for businesses , SharePoint, CMS, Enterprise Web Content Management and computer publications and blogs